Welcome to the United for Missouri (UFM) grassroots blog. United for Missouri is a grassroots non-profit organization that supports issues that are on the mind of the Missouri citizen. UFM supports state sovereignty, tax reform that stimulates the economy, fiscal responsibility, limited government, limited government spending, and government transparency at all levels.
Now at launch, we are focusing on 5 Missouri-based issues which include:
- Support of Proposition C – The Missouri Health Care Freedom act. UFM supports Missouri’s sovereignty and right of Missouri citizens and their doctors to make their health care decisions, not the federal or state government. You can show your support by signing our petition here: http://www.unitedformissouri.org/statewide/health-care-freedom-act
- A call for increased transparency to Springfield Public Schools Board of Education. It appears enough patrons of the district have signed a request for state audit. The best way for the district to regain trust and for taxpayers to ensure fiscal accountability is to remove the red-tape and make it easier for the public to see how money is being spent on their behalf in Springfield Public Schools. You can sign our petition requesting online, real-time and searchable expenditure data here: http://www.unitedformissouri.org/springfield/springfieldand.
- Asking the Cape Girardeau City Council to continue their efforst to be transparent to include online their soon-to-be-revised purchasing policy and to go even further by posting their expenditures online, real-time and searchable. Read more here: http://www.unitedformissouri.org/cape-girardeau/cape-girardeau
- A request for the Liberty Public School District Board of Education to open up their financial records online, real-time and searchable. Liberty and other governmental entities post information online but it isn’t easily searchable and requires signficant effort to retrieve. Get involved here: http://www.unitedformissouri.org/liberty/liberty [singlepic id=6 w=320 h=240 float=center]
- Congratulating the Mehlville Fire Protection District on their willingness to bring more transparency to government by putting district wages and benefits online. The district has also agreed to put their expenditures online, real-time and searchable. This sort of transparency helps provide accountability. Congratulate the Mehlville fire district by signing our petition: http://www.unitedformissouri.org/mehlville/mehlville.
So now you know a little about United for Missouri. You can expect many articles, blogs, podcasts, and features on the website that focus on the above issues…but more importantly, on issues that are on your mind as a Missourian. Please let us know what topics concern you and what you think we should cover (No local Missouri issue is too small or large to be nominated). Email any topic, idea or comment to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
You can also submit ideas or comments to UFM via twitter: http://twitter.com/United4MO or facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1617690535&ref=ts
We will also be adding variety to our content by doing frequent “Spotlight” pieces that focus on local Missouri grassroots leaders, activists, or movements from around the state. If you or your organization would like to be featured in upcoming media releases, please contact us at the above addresses.
Please check back frequently, for more content and discussion, and make sure to GET INVOLVED!
“A basic tenet of a healthy democracy is open dialogue and transparency.” – Peter Fenn